- 1cup quinoa
- 1onion - chopped
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1.5 tablespoons oil
- 1/4 teaspoon tumeric
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger - grated
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon sambal oelek (optional)
- 1/4 cup roasted pine nuts
- 1/4 cup currants
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh coriander
- Rinse quinoa.
- In a saucepan, gently heat the oil and saute the onions adding the ginger after about 1 minute, along with the sambal oelek and spices. Cook for a further few minutes.
- Add the quinoa, salt and stock and bring to boil, stirring constantly. Once boiled, put the lid on saucepan, lower heat and allow to simmer for approximately 15 minutes. When the stock is nearly absorbed, add the peas and then simmer until the stock is fully absorbed, stirring occasionally.
- Stir through the currants, pine nuts and most of the coriander. Garnish with remainder of coriander.
- Great with lamb or chicken.
Contributed by The Fruit Ute